Friday, May 28, 2010

So uh... do they teach ignorance and hatred in school nowadays?

Oh wait... they do.  I guess that explains (some of) the idiocy I am seeing in a certain facebook group I belong to.  I mean seriously, do people not realize the damage they are doing to our kids by forcing them to deny their identity? Homophobia in general, along with the denial of equal rights to a large portion of America citizens angers me in the first place... but when kids get hurt, I get downright pissed off.  We should be teaching our children to love one another, embrace all types of people and accept their differences. Society needs to change, not these kids. Do people really think that gay teens are 8 times more likely to commit suicide than straight teens because being gay "makes" them suicidal??? Well, sadly, yes some people do. But no, it's because gay teens have to endure condescending adults, bullying classmates and a society who tells them they are "sinners" for being who they are. Despicable.  Luckily all hope is not lost for today's American youth, as students at Gunn High School have valiantly shown us in their stand against the Westborough Baptist "church".  Just one of these kids has more integrity and couth in their pinky finger than the whole lot of those hatemongers combined.

On a separate (but similar) issue, and a slightly lighter note, I think the hypocrisy of the people who support repealing DADT but not gay marriage is best summed up here by my favorite comedian Wanda Sykes.

6 comments:

JP said...

The biggest thing I try to instill in my kids is respect for all people. Not just for the people you agree with but for everyone.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I didn't find an email address for you, but I did want to welcome you to my blog. I never reply to comments on Fridays, it's just my policy. Anyway, if you want to submit anything, you can go to hotmail or yahoo or any of the anonymous email sites and create a fake email, or you can send it from your regular email. I delete it after I copy and paste them into a different doc. I never tell a soul if I know who sent what or not. You can email me at eviltwinswife@gmail.com. Easy as that!

DollDuffer said...

JP- That is definitely a good thing to instill in your kids... kudos to you. :o)

ETW- Thank you. I really enjoy reading your blog. :o) I started this in March and I am still trying to figure things out. I finally have two followers now haha. I've resorted to begging...

Thick 2 Thin said...

Hello :)
I love pin ups also :)
I just started my blog.
We like the same kinda music too.
Hope your day is great.

DollDuffer said...

Welcome Thin Girl... I am following your blog now as well. Glad we have so much in common! :o)

DollDuffer said...

Thin Girl (I think I'll call you TG from now on :o))- I can't leave a comment on your blog. I tried yesterday and today but it isn't letting me. I was having the same issue and got some help from another follower. She told me to "Go back and make it where you have a POP-UP WINDOW. And Comments Default for Posts is set to NEW POSTS HAVE COMMENTS". That fixed the issue. I'd love to comment on some of your blog entries so please let me know when the issue is fixed. :o)