Sunday, March 7, 2010

Compassion versus Indoctrination

"We live in a culture that discourages empathy. A culture that too often tells us our principle goal in life is to be rich, thin, young, famous, safe, and entertained. A culture where those in power too often encourage these selfish impulses. They will tell you that the Americans who sleep in the streets and beg for food got there because they're all lazy or weak of spirit. That the inner-city children who are trapped in dilapidated schools can't learn and won't learn and so we should just give up on them entirely. That the innocent people being slaughtered and expelled from their homes half a world away are somebody else's problem to take care of. I hope you don't listen to this. I hope you choose to broaden, and not contract, your ambit of concern. Not because you have an obligation to those who are less fortunate, although you do have that obligation. Not because you have a debt to all of those who helped you get to where you are, although you do have that debt. It's because you have an obligation to yourself. Because our individual salvation depends on collective salvation. And because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you will realize your true potential - and become full-grown." This was read to us this morning in the very first Unitarian Universalist service I have ever attended.  And the author of that was, of course, Barack Obama.  It's because of words like these that I have such an issue with those that say Obama is a horrible man.  Really?  Because I haven't heard anything out of his mouth that would indicate that.  Then there are those that say actions speak louder than words.  Yes indeed they do.  And I for one wish that those who say it cannot be done, would get out of the way of the man trying to get things done.  Sheesh!  End rant. :o)

So as I was saying.... I attended my first ever UU service this morning with my sister (A) and what a refreshing experience.  The speaker this morning was the director of the Ft. Walton Beach homeless shelter.  He spoke on compassion.  My initial impression is that this is a church that promotes philanthropy, good deeds and acceptance of one another through fellowship instead of indoctrination.... a good first impression indeed. :o)  Of course, A and I are both pretty shy and felt a bit out of place so we weren't very social.  But we plan to attend next week as well and hopefully we can get up the courage to socialize a bit more.

Hmmmm..... what else?  Well, I've fallen behind in school and I think I'm going to have to send an email to one of my Professor's begging him to let me turn assignments in late for at least partial credit.  Seeing as this is my last semester, ever, I really hope he lets me...

And let me just say.... I  LOVE Queen Latifah. :o)

No comments: