Monday, March 22, 2010

History Has Been Made. Again. :o)

OK, so I read a pretty interesting article today that pretty much sums up how Conservatives have dug their own grave in terms of health care reform and it actually gave me hope that this small step forward will not be thwarted come November.

I find myself getting annoyed at the naysayers despite the victory that we have achieved today.  I'm refraining from arguing with people about it so this is where having a blog comes in mighty handy!

One of the biggest concerns of the right wingers is that health care reform is going to cost too much money.  This makes me wonder, do they want us to just do nothing about the millions of people without health care coverage??  By the way, the majority of government spending goes towards the two wars that are being fought as a result of the lies and personal agenda of the PREVIOUS administration... but Obama is supposed to clean that mess up too, right? Oh and lets not forget he needs to get it done overnight, if not then he MUST be a horrible President.  Yet another argument I've heard is that our government screwed up Social Security and Medicare so they don't want them having a hand in our medical insurance.  First of all, if left to the insurance companies, it would be just a matter of time before millions of American's became bankrupted themselves because of high cost premiums, drugs and medical procedures.  Second, what other government would you suggest change it? The one on Mars? Whether you like it or not, this is our government and something needed to be done. Granted, we have a long way to go before we truly have the health care reform we really need but the alternative was to sit on our asses and do nothing. The only thing I've heard from republicans during this process has been complaints about the bill that was presented. When changes were made to try to alleviate most of those complaints, the republicans came back with even more complaints. It became painfully evident early on that no matter how health care reform was presented, the republicans would vote against it and spew untruthful propaganda to try to stop it simply because they saw (see) it as a political strategy to get Obama out of office. Contrary to popular belief, just voting no on everything is not a responsible or patriotic action. As a matter of fact it makes it look like republicans care only about the money in their pockets rather than the better good, although granted, they've had that reputation for quite a while now.

Honestly, I don't have it in my heart to feel any other way on this issue. Again, something needed to be done about the millions of people currently without healthcare coverage and while I don't think that this bill will miraculously solve all of our problems, I think it's a step in the right direction. So many are concerned about raised taxes and while that is a valid concern, I think that human life takes precedent over taxes. I probably make about 1/3 the money of the people complaining about this bill.  And I'm pretty positive it's the people who make over $200,000.  This is a very happy day for me because I believe it provides a light at the end of a tunnel that so many have been trapped inside of for so long. In 20 years I believe I'm going to look back and be proud of this day. You may not believe that but I do. And we both have that right. Time will tell. Until then, I'm just going to be happy and not let naysayers bring me down. Peace out non-existent homie's.

No comments: